Monday, June 30, 2008

Cherry Blossoms

It is officially the day of my birth. I am very excited. I took the day off work to do things that I want to do. Including a photoshoot with a studying photographer. Maybe I will post pictures...

Someone told me this year that they loved me like the sky and the cherry blossoms. This sounds all fine and good and seems really sweet until I started reflecting on the meaning of that comment the other day. The sky is constantly changing. Cherry blossoms are only around for a short period of time before they fall to the ground and die. Is this person telling me that they will love me sometimes and only for a short period of time? I'm sure, of course, that they did not mean it this way but tonight at church as I slipped in the back for the last part of the sermon, I heard about a God who loves me simply because. There is nothing I can do to make Him love me more or less or even at all, He simply does.

And tonight He whispered in my ear and said that He will never love me like the cherry blossoms. He can't ever love me like humans do. Because at some point, our love is going to be conditional. At some point. And His is never going to be. Ever.

I will rest in that.

Song of the Day:
I'll Fly Away by Jars of Clay
PS. that rhymes if you say it out loud.

2 comments:

Ashley Harms-Wiebe said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Karyn!!!

Yes, God does love you more than cherry blossoms and even more than Toblerone chocolate. Now that's hard to beat. I hope you enjoyed your day off work and continue to taste God's unconditional love for you! Your journal entries are beautiful. Keep writing!

Ashley H-W

Kiimey said...

HAPPY be-lated BIRTHDAY Karyn!
wish you all the best in your new year! may you grow and reach new levels of intimacy with God. may you get over the pain that you feel. God is with you! God Bless!
-Michael.