Monday, June 16, 2008

Validation

I seem to constantly be meeting with people. Which isn't a problem, believe me, I just find it interesting. I feel like I am constantly arranging and rearranging my schedule to fit coffee here, dinner there, and maybe a short walk the day after. It seems that the older we get, the more intentional we have to be at seeking out company.

Anyways about what I was really going to talk about. I went for breakfast with a fantastic lady on Friday. I always call her my step in grandma because none of my grandparents live anywhere near me. We meet about once a month and talk. About her life mostly. Some of mine. She listens and gives me advice. She makes sure I have things like a financial plan and that I am always well taken care of. In our last meeting I told her about my will and felt calling to be single at this point in my life and she was surprisingly supportive and encouraging. I found out that she did not get married until she was 28 because she felt when she was my age and a little older that God had a higher purpose for her at thiat point in her life. I was relieved. I'm not alone. There's other people who feel the same way. She went on to talk about independance and other struggles she faced during that time.

I always end up leaving in tears because of the love that woman has for me. She prays for me. Supports me financially and emotionally. I can sit across from her, hold her older, much wiser hand in my younger naive hand and be vulnerable. She does not ask for anything in return. Obviously our relationship is a two way street but in any relationship there are expectations that the other person will love you back. She has none of that. I know she will love me if I never call her back again or if I call her every week for the rest of my life.

My heart is happy that I am cared for.

Song of the Day:
Summer in the City by Regina Spektor

No comments: